Monday, March 14, 2005

Day 8 : Forgetting the Past...

For the first time in my life, I sit at the United States World War II Memorial. Hard to believe that the great feat of human kind, the most awesome display of unity, power, strength, resolve, compassion, justice, and liberty was not memorialized until just this last year. I do not, however, condemn those that failed before us because sitting here today shows that the wait was well worth the price. It is inspiring and humbling to be here. The designers and minds which embodied the soul of a nation in this memorial have truly captured what was accomplished. To describe it would be an injustice. I would suggest that you visit here, but a suggestion is not strong enough.

I do not believe in imposing my preferences on others. An opinion is just that, and I believe that this country, as displayed from 1941 till Hiroshima, will die to defend an individuals right to theirs, but that doesn’t discount the opinion. You should visit this place. Located next to the most recognized memorial of Washington, across the reflecting pool from the remembrance of the President who lead this great nation through its most disappointing season, and near the memorial I feel marks the greatest sorrow this nation has felt, here you sense its blessing.

So in the strongest way, I implore you to come and pay your deepest respects to the nation, men and women, that make your life possible. As the Muslims have Mecca, and the Jews Jerusalem, America’s soul is drawn to the hallowed white marble ways and structures of its center. A deep and infinite price was paid; tragedy after tragedy has been met with the most resounding clash of fierce steadfastness; sacrifices beyond comparison have been made for you and for me. Know that "Those who forget their past are destined to repeat it."

I am embarrassed to even compare my life with those of the generation before me that made my life possible. However, today the sacrifices are still being made, and our sacrifices today are no less important and no less memorable because they are a continuation of yesterday.

To my right is a class of high school students. Their teacher is describing the Washington Monument and how it was built during the Mexican American War and how the bricks change color one third of the way up because of the interference caused by the war. Unfortunately he is wrong, but is sounds good. It is comforting to know that the youth are still being shown their past. They are still being told what prices have been paid. They are still being given the opportunity to honor and respect their elders. The conclusion of that instruction will also mark the end of this nation. May it never be.

I hope that you will heed my advice and experience and remember your history.

Until then and tomorrow.

Jason

1 comment: