Thursday, May 5, 2005

Day 57: Who's tired?

I am back from Italy, back from Bamberg, back from traveling. I am tired. I am tired. Yesterday was the train ride from Bamberg back into Ansbach. It was a peaceful ride on a smaller regional train. I spent most of the time either reading my recently purchased April 18th edition of Sports Illustrated, the one with Tiger on the cover (Dad, I am surprised you didn’t email me about his victory), or writing post cards and a Mother's day card for... well, you know who, why do I have to spell it out for you? What you can't figure it out? OK, it was for my wonderful mom who I love more than life itself.

After the train ride, Jordan picked me up and we headed back to his place. The plan was to hang out there for a bit and then head onto base so he could finish some office work. I was up for anything, after my nap. Something hit me around 1800 that afternoon and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Every time I sat down, and especially layed down, I was out. I think this vacation is catching up with me. This morning I made up for the fatigue a bit by sleeping until 1030. It was glorious.

I am trying to think of my point... It had something to do with Slovakia... I can't remember... Oh well...

Here is where things get interesting. I know there are more things to write about Slovakia. I know there is, but it was so long ago, we are talking weeks, that I have pretty much moved on. This is another reason I could never be a writer. Another problem is that I can't remember what I have written about and I am too lazy to go back and reread what I previously wrote. Did I tell you guys about Christian? I think so. If not then that is a great story. Someone send me a note telling me whether I did or didn't.

I want to tell you more about Slovakia. The last couple days were filled with the same basic events of the first, but the atmosphere was building towards the completion of the playground and the end of the week. (OK, I did it. I went back and looked at my previous posts. I did tell you about Christian so there is no need for anyone to let me know that I did.) The students had both a sense of purpose and also the general fatigue of having worked hard for five days in a row. Remember, we are talking about high school students so they haven't experienced a real 40 hr/wk job and don't know that the rest of the world works most days. Actually, I have never experienced a real 40 hr/wk job and don't know either. Also, over here in Europe they don't work nearly as hard as us Yankees work. Here is an example.

Auto shops are not allowed to open on a Saturday. It is actually against the law. The laws in Germany are very much to the benefit of the worker, not the consumer. Sundays are pretty much, "don't get anything done days" also. This means that if you have business to conduct you have to do it Monday through Friday. If you have a job, tough luck, take the time off of work. Shopping really doesn't happen on the weekends because people don't work then. You can't have a retail store open without making employees work on the weekend and people don't work on the weekend. This is a gross over simplification, but I am trying to make a point.

So the students are growing tired after their many hours of laborious activity. That is when the leaders have to really step up and provide the motivation to get the job done. I did just that through my expertise as a United States Army Officer. I took over the very important role of "Official Delegator". I told everyone what to do! Hey, it is a tough job, but some one, with great skill and vocal abilities, has to do it. You guys don't understand, it is hard to look busy after you have delegated out all the jobs. Having many years of experience with that sort of task, I accomplished it brilliantly, if I do say so myself.

My time has once again come to an end, and once again, I don't think I said anything, really. Tomorrow, I will conclude Slovakia. I think.

Until then and tomorrow.

Jason

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, yes the delegator. Good one.
    On a sports note, the Sonics are to round 2! Yeah for being a band wagon fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes- I remember just how much hard work and effort was put into tellin' them highschoolers what to do. Gosh Jason- I don't know how you survived. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delegation is the only way to work. Only the weak-minded actually do the work themselves. Well done!

    You should take pictures and post them in the blog! It's not hard to do - you could even delegate it to someone else.

    ReplyDelete