Saturday, April 23, 2005

Day 46: Italy, what more can I say!!

I love Europe. I love Germany, Austria, Czech, Slovakia, and now Italy. If I could put to words how awesome this place is and how much fun it is, I would sell millions of books and be able to live over here. There is just so much about this place that is awesome.

There is too much to say this evening and since I haven't even caught up with the Slovakia trip, I am going to keep this one short and hopefully spend a good amount of time on the computer tomorrow or the next day. It probably won't be tomorrow because we are heading to Venice for the day and so I will be uber busy floating down the canals, watching the glass blowing on Morano Island, and eating more delicious gelato ice cream. but that is tomorrow and I shouldn't be talking about what I haven't done when there is still so much to say about what I have done.

This morning, Jordan, Candice, Shelly, and I left Jordan's place at 0652, 22 minutes late. No big deal, we had planned in plenty of time to make it to the Munich Airport to pick up Noelani, Jordan's sister. Driving there we took the back roads and enjoyed the true heart of the Bavarian countryside. Europe to me is more beautiful the further South you go. Germany is amazing, Austria is breathtaking and Northern Italy is magnificent. There aren't enough superlatives to describe everything I am seeing. I can't wait to keep going South in the next few days and see Rome, Naples, and other sites.

Speaking of Rome, what about the new Pope. Benny the 16th, right? I haven't had time to read the news so I don't know where the world's opinion falls on this new guy. What I did hear was something about him being the front runner so it wasn't a big surprise, I guess.

Back to today. The drive to Vicenza was glorious, costly but glorious. Europeans have figured out that you can make money off the tourist without them even getting out of their cars. It cost us 16.40 Euros, which is like 20 bucks, just to drive our car in Austria. We didn't get out or even step foot in the country but with the tolls and permits required, cost that much. But it was worth it.

Remember "Sound of Music?" Doe a deer, a female deer. Ray a drop of golden sun. Me a name... You get the idea. Well the Von-trap family were from Austria and the movie portrayed the countryside beautifully. The mountains, the snow, the "hills are alive with the sound of music." Seriously, I could hear them singing to me. I am starting to scare myself because the thought crossed my mind that Europe is as good as the US. It isn't, but the thought was still there. Austria is great and the Italian Alps are even better, but they don't hold "a candle in the wind" to the Rockies, Cascades, or Olympics.

Driving to our final destination today took us along a curvy Italian mountain road. Just the driving in Italy is a completely separate story and adventure, but I haven't the time today. Along the road, we stopped at this small village on the side of the mountain. I forget the name, but have a post card with the name in the car. We stopped because Jordan and Mom had been there twice before. Once five years ago and then three years later. When they described this town and particularly the Pizzeria, the ladies there stood out. The owner of the pizzeria has three lovely daughters, two of them twins. Mom's description is best when she said, "Oh they are so cute, can we take one home?" (Hey, that reminds me. I learned my first and only Italian phrase. "Decidero sposare su a fila!" It means, "I want to marry your daughter!" I figured I would try it out on the owner, but he wasn't around and I was too intimidated by his beautiful girls to ask for him. I hope to be able to use that phrase at least once on this trip. Hey, maybe I will get lucky.)

Tonight, we met up with some of Noelani's friends here in Italy. We went back to their place and had wine, cheese, bread and pastries. This is the way to eat, unfortunately my belly is expanding because of that. After the food, we headed into town for dinner. Oh, did I mention that the wine was about $1.75 for a bottle. I know you are thinking, big deal. It was a big deal because this was great wine. Absolutely wonderful. We never made dinner, but we did stop for Italian Ice cream, known as gelato. Best ice cream in the world, it would be my favorite if they would discover peanut butter and add it to their chocolate.

Now I must say good night. It is past midnight and I have another huge day of sight seeing in Venice planned. No rest for the weary. I will return.

Until then and tomorrow.

Jason

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know where to start...I'm just so jealous of all your adventures! You talked of Italy and I can't wait to get there...someday soon. Afterall, teachers do get summers off. From there, I just have to comment on the fact that you're totally right about the peanut butter and chocolate. That just might be a piece of heaven here on earth! Jason, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete