Saturday, July 16, 2005

Day Something:Don't worry about the day, it is Greece and everything is way laid back

So, I am down here in the beautiful country of Greece. More specifically I am in Northern Greece also known as Macedonia. Once again, Barb Iverson of Prague fame is looking over my shoulder and reading along as I type so my anxiety to be funny and extra engaging exists. I don't know if I mentioned last time, but Barb is an English major, has taught English, edited numerous print magazines and periodicals, and reads grammer books at night for fun, so if anyone can be intimidating, she is. Like just now, she has already corrected my typing and spelling three times.

Greece is a wonderful place. I unfortunately have only been able to spend three days here but it was enough to let me know that I will be coming back. As the time on my Internet Cafe computer winds down, I don't have enough of it to fully brief you all on the joys of this country, but I will tell you one delectable little detail. Baklava!!!

Baklava appears to be the new Greece version of the classically named, "Food of the gods" It is stufabulous. Baklava is a pastry dish. It comes in as many varieties as the American Donut, but is so much better. Tragically, I will never look at a piece of Vitamin K (Krispy Kreme) the same again. Let me reiterate that Baklava is nothing like a donut, it is closer to a flaky croissant baked thingy. It can have varieties including nuts, cream, figs, and other tasties. The piece de reisistance, however, is how all Baklava is soaked in a sugary, honey syrup like substance. Soaked doesn't actually leave you with a good picture. Drenched does a much better job. So imagine a bite sized morsel that is dripping with sweet wonderfulness. It melts in your mouth and your hand. Surprisingly, chocolate is not a widely used ingredient. Not necessary though, it is good without it. I only wonder how much more wonderful it would be with a chocolate cream. Hey, maybe that could be a new thing that I could introduce here and bring back to the states.

I have been in quite a few countries on this trip and one thing I think often is how much money could be made if one could simply transport in their entirety any of the many small shops or eateries from Europe back to the States. In Ireland, it was the pubs, Italy the restaurants, Germany the roads, and here in Greece it is the sweet shops.

Well, I got to run. Not really, but this is costing me money and there isn't enough time to talk about other things. I will tell you about the drenching of the humans another day.

Until then and tomorrow.

Jason

3 comments:

  1. "...one thing I think often is how much money could be made if one could simply transport in their entirety any of the many small shops or eateries from Europe back to the States."

    Everything ends up getting Americanized, so then it's never as good as the original. Although there are always a few small bakeries or cafes in real cities (like LA, not like Orlando) where the owners are European and create food that is identical.

    Have the attacks in London affected your travel at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley and I cannot believe you could change your opinion of KK. The closest one to us is in Frisco about 35 minutes away, and we hardly seem to catch the "hot donuts now" sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how was you're last day spent here in Germany? Did you have fun playing your games? Yeah...Since I didn't get the chance to really say goodbye, I'm saying it here...Bye Jason! It was amazing to have you here for the time God gave you to us. I am grateful for the work you have done with our guys and know that God has used you in mighty ways. I pray that you keep on seeking His face and continue to do work for His kingdom and His glory. And hopefully we'll meet again.

    Bless you brother!

    ReplyDelete