Monday, March 13, 2006

Life as we know it

This one I promise will be short, but I make no claims on its entertainment value.

Not many of you know that I received my walking papers from the Army just last month. I am as free a man as I can be, aside from being dead. It is a wonderful thing, and sorrowful at the same time. I have proceeded, in my freedom, to grow a nice beard, which I will sustain for a few months until the weather turns, and then who knows. But the bottom line is I am free.

You will never guess however what I just finished doing which inspired this post. Give up? I polished my shoes. The old Hawaiian Tropic Lifeguard bag came out; a can of the wonderful Kiwi black shoe polish immerged, and I proceeded to apply a fine matte finish to my overpriced, $280 regretfully spent dollars over priced, Allen Edmonds dress shoes. It was a wonderful thing. I love the smell of shoe polish; so many memories are tied to it. None of which I will go into at this point (I must keep my promise).

Here is what hit me as I was progressing through both shoes. 1. I couldn’t believe I actually had the stuff necessary to polish dress shoes. 2. I couldn’t believe I actually knew how to do just that. 3. I can’t believe that I enjoyed doing it. Enjoyed it immensely. It is a simple pleasure

Simple pleasure, like a perfectly thrown spiral landing softly in your hands after flying over your shoulder; your stride not breaking, simple pleasure.

It is tomorrow.

Jason

5 comments:

  1. I think your shoes cost more than my entire wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me... Well, you saw my taste in fine attire... (www.bachrach.com)...

    ...but as for memories...

    ...I prefer a glass bottle of ice cold Coke either in an overgrown grassy field... or at the beach...

    also swinging in a tire swing in slow motion with a glass of pink country time lemonade does the trick as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, how was the concert last weekend?

    and I would have to say some of my favorites are walking down a forest trail when the sun is peaking through the branches, or the feeling when you are all salty and going home after a long day at the beach.
    and of course, driving a golf cart downhill

    ReplyDelete
  4. regarding your simple pleasures.....I am fairly confident that the military has left an imprint upon you much more deeply than you know, and/or are willing to admit. Not a bad imprint....just an imprint. I think it will be a source of strength as you move ahead into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear "Thinking,"

    I wonder if Jason has any 'tick' words that would suddenly make him go "flash back Vietnam" on all of us...

    perhaps, "schadenfreuden."

    . . . just you wait, something will trigger it, and then we're all dead...

    ReplyDelete