Thursday, February 3, 2005

Almost there, almost there!

Wow, three days remain of my employment by the United States Army. On the 6th day of February, 2005, I am released from active duty and return to my original status of a drilling reservist. Granted, I won't be your typical "drilling" reservist. It will be a few months before I actually go back to drilling. I will be taking full advantage of the 90 days allotted reservist coming off AD. A bit of traveling and relaxing is in order.



The reality of my removal has caused me ponder the consequences of this new, but inevitable event.



I am already starting to miss being on AD. I am not sure, though, if it is the job and daily routine that I will miss, or the over $5000 a month they are paying me. As I said, I am not sure, but if I had to wager a guess, my money would be on the $5k. See, for at least the last three months, and arguably the last nine, I haven't had a job or daily routine, so it is hard to say that I am going to miss something that was never there. Oh, I did do some odd activities from time to time, and I kept busy, for the most part, but day in and day out, I was bored.



Working for a living is over rated! That is what I used to think, at least. Now, not so much. See, I am starting to be more forward looking in my decisions and I see a job as a necessary part of preparing a place for a family. Since I have decided that I do in fact want a family, my thoughts have led me the logical conclusions of today. My dad always said that I should get a job and start saving for when I have a family and my response was always to laugh because, like every other young human, the future was something to deny. Now, as I grow older and hopefully up, I see the wisdom of my father. Funny how much smarter your parents become the older you get. That is not a new revelation, but for me, still, a revelation.



So I am warming to the idea of work, but that doesn't mean that a job is top priority. Warming does not mean I am ready. As with everything in life, it is a process. I have only just begun that process and over the next few months my gradual acceptance of the inevitable I spoke of before will allow me to say job without studdering and hold one longer than I can my breath. We will see and you will have to stay in touch to know if that is true.



But as I am always apt to quote, "There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all!" Meaning, I want a real job that will negate any possible uselessness. This is why this job will not happen over night.



Jason

2 comments:

  1. No anonymous comments eh? I just wanted to say hello and that I hope you enjoy your 90 days! Do you know where you are headed yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you knuckle-head. Didn't anyone ever tell you fixed wing aircraft are the only way to fly?

    So hurry up to the bay area and come visit so we can exchange some military stories! Hope you got some good pictures - I've got mine!

    Your cuz Dan Nieport.

    ReplyDelete